11/17/08

11/17 Last Day

Monday, November 17

I can't believe it - our last day! The days and weeks have just flown by and both of us could stay for longer. But alas, our family and duties (school & work) are at home waiting for us!

A group of doctors/nurses/volunteers (12) arrived yesterday to do Medical evaluations for all the children at Gyetegi as well as another primary school nearby. They are here through the Mary Tidlund Foundation. Having so many more people here has changed the dynamics a little - more people for meals & new house mates.

In the morning, I let Jack have the preschoolers while I finished up with the letter writing for Anna's class. Simon, Evalina and Swedi hadn't finished their letters so we went into Tarangire to write. They are such little perfectionists! Writing in their best handwriting as well making great drawings. I can't wait to hand out these letters back at home. I'm hoping that some of these children will continue writing back and forth with their penpals.

I then spent the afternoon playing with the preschoolers & finishing up my very small to do list. I can't even begin to express the simplicity of life here. My to do list at home is a neverending list - a book. This was my to do list here:


  • write comments in the English & Computer Class folder
  • pack
  • sort through clothes & meds that we are leaving behind
  • take photos of everything!
  • finish buying/paying for Mama Upendo's goodies
  • return bottles to the Duka in Campi Nairobi
  • catch up on blog and post!

Notice that there is no shopping, cooking, laundry, folding etc etc. I have been in heaven for the last 3 weeks here!

Jack spent the afternoon up at the school helping with the kids going through their medical evaluations (keeping them in line, moving, holding their hands etc). I think he found it very interesting. I wanted to go too - but I thought this was his thing, without his mother!

When I walked to get the kindergarten kids at 3:30 - the one thing Edina kept saying was that all those people at the school 'scared her'. Of course I tried to tell her that they were people just like me, that they cared about her and that they wanted to make sure she was healthy from the inside of her body too. I'm not sure that I convinced her.

While we were walking back a class (Doctor etc) were coming in a lines, 4 wide, down the path to the rec hall for gym with Mike. I took a video clip - they were singing...... just amazing!

I also had our exit interview with Sara. Basically to settle up with internet fees and tips as well as to chat about how our stay had been here. Of course, I thought it was amazing so didn't really have any negative feedback. It's so well organized here! Everything is so well thought out and thought through.

Early to bed as we are getting picked up at 7 am tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lindsay Fecteau said...

Hi Louisa!

You'll never believe how I found your blog :) I googled "Funza's in Tanzania" and the site came up. I tried so hard to prevent getting one and I ended up having one in my heel. It was terrible.

We still have to exchange info so we can share our pictures.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lindsay