11/18/08

11/18 - Ras Kutani - south of Dar es Salaam

We got up early - finished packing, made a couple pb & j sandwiches and then went over to the office to wait for the driver. I was really hoping it was going to be Machek again, because I knew he knew how to find us!

Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. We ended up joining the others for breakfast, our last one. The kids were all hanging out waiting to say goodbye to us too. Josephat, Vicent and Mole were really sweet - following Jack around.

Finally, sometime after 8 the jeep finally came and it was Machek, but this time he was the co-pilot. We said all our goodbye's - so sad. But I knew that I was returning. This was not a place that I could only see/experience once in my life. I think Jack felt the same way.

Hugs, waves, kisses, thank you's and we were off.....Kwa heri!

We arrived an hour and half later at the Manyara airstrip which was at the top of the Rift. It was a dirt airstrip that took off over Manyara - the park and the lake. Just beautiful. We had a little time to spare so we went over to a fancy lodge (one of the Serena lodges) and just checked it out. It was so nice! Beautiful views, a never ending pool, little walkways and huts. Even a couple conference rooms. Certainly a window into how the other side saw Tanzania. Wow - how different!

Back to the airstrip - watched a little TV. They had a TV in the waiting lounge and there was the equivalent of MTV playing. I took a video clip because I thought it was so great!

Our plane landed, the pilot jumped off - checked his hand written passenger list - saw us on the list and on we got. They put our suitcases in the nose of the plane. The plane was tiny - tiny seats, with no neck rests. Picture the back seat of an old 1970's style station wagon - but only for 2 people on one side of the aisle and for one passenger on the other side of the isle.

First stop: Arusha. "The Geneva of Tanzania" as the airport says on it's welcome sign. We had to actually go into a waiting room for about 30 minutes before boarding again. I think it was the same plane, same pilot - but who knew? there were so many planes on the runway, it was impossible to tell. We just crossed our fingers that our bags were on our plane.

The views from the air were all amazing! I took a lot of photos, but they just don't capture the true essence. It was beautiful.

The one thing we didn't see - that I wish had - was Mount Kilimanjaro. I guess that means we will have to come back again.

Second stop: Zanzibar. What a beautiful island - the ocean is so welcoming and warm looking - white sand beaches. Made me think we should have stayed there for a couple nights. But from the looks of it from the air - it really looked like a place that you would have to spend at least a week to thoroughly enjoy and explore.

Again - off the plane, into the waiting room for about 30 minutes and then back out to board again. Same plane, same pilot.

Oh - and none of these planes have toilets.

Finally - we landed in Dar. It's a huge city with about 3.5 million people. Wow! That's have the size of Swizterland all in one city. All went well - our bags made it and someone was there from Leopard Tours to pick us up and drive us to Ras Kutani.

Through the city we went, winding our way through the streets, past some really nice looking government buildings and then to the ferry docks. Somehow the driver managed to get us on the ferry that was right there...loading!

On we went. It was a drive on - drive off ferry. Just imagine about 15 cars and, I kid you not, over 800 walk-ons. The ferry was packed!

I started to feel a little uncomfortable. How many times have you read in the paper or seen on TV - A ferry in the 3rd world sinks and all the passengers drowned. OMG - this could be us! The ride was just 7 minutes - but it felt much longer than that.

I was so glad to get off on the other side.

We then continued on for another couple hours. Again, into the middle of nowhere. The driver (I can't remember his name) turned left onto an unmarked road with no signs anywhere. Winding around, up and over, the ocean came into view - just beautiful. And there we were!

All the walkways betwwen the huts were sand. I almost died when I saw our place. I think the picture will say it all. (I'll upload that later). We walked around and checked out the beach - it was just amazing!! I can't wait to hang out on the beach and read and relax!

No comments: