11/7/08

11/7 A Gift to Share

Friday November 7

The pounding and pounding of the rain throughout the night was unbelievable. It was so loud! It almost sounded like water was pouring from the skies on the tin roofs from buckets as opposed to falling as raindrops. Despite the noise, we still had a good night sleep!

I was back on for Ugi breakfast in Tarangire which meant I could get their about 6:20. I literally roll out of bed, throw on some shorts and head over. After making Fatumaís milk and making sure Vicenti swallows his red vitamin pill and they all do their morning chores, I head back to the volunteer house for our breakfast. There were a couple mornings when there was a French press coffee pot and somehow it hasnít re-surfaced, so I am drinking instant with powdered milk. Breakfast, by the way, is toast, jams/jellies and hard boiled eggs. The first couple mornings I ate the yolk, but they donít really taste like ours so we have been only eating the whites.

Today I was back with the Standard 2ís helping them write their letters for Annaís class. They are so cute with what they want to say - favorite movie, color, subject, book etc. I forgot to mention that on Wednesday when I was with them one of them went to get their favorite book. And guess what it was?? It was Barry and Moritzís book ìA Gift to Shareî. I almost fell off my chair! Can you imagine that they have this book all the way over in Tanzania. I was thrilled to tell them that I knew the man who wrote the book and that Maoritz had actually been to my house. The world is truly so small! I have to make sure I send along all Barryís other books as well.

They are all just about done - only Evalina and Ismail have a couple more to write. I am hoping to get them to complete theirs over the weekend.

After Ugi, I went and helped Jack with the little ones. As Usufu was sick we only had Joshua, Vicenti and Rehema so we just played around outside.

I did another workout with Sara and Ellie in the rec hall between bath time and dinner. There was a lot of aerobics in this one and I was basically laughing and jumping around the entire time because the woman who was doing the video had such bad segways and wasnít really teaching the steps before she did them. Nonetheless, a good workout. I managed to squeeze in a cold shower before heading down to Indiaís for an apero.

Her place is beautiful with a lovely porch in the back that even had a fireplace. Great popcorn, guacamole and conversation. Itís just fascinating to hear how India landed here and all the work that she has done to prepare her for this role. She is an amazing woman - inspirational to say the least. Anything is possible!

Back to Tarangire for dinner and then Mama Gracie told the storyÖ. Of course we couldnít understand a word , but all 10 children were sitting captivated for 25 minutes. Laughing, listening, questioning. It was just great. I wish I could have understood the story as I am sure we would have enjoyed it just as much as they did.

After our dinner at the Volunteer House we all sat outside late into the night having a couple beers (NOT Jack!), looking at the moon and listening to Carolynís ipod. 

No comments: