11/14/08

11/13 Last English Class

Thursday, November 13

No breakfast duty this morning! Slept in until our breakfast which was great! I don't think I have ever slept so much - I am enjoying every minute of it. Maybe at home I haven't been getting enough sleep for a long time? Maybe I am catching up on lost sleep (I know this isn't possible but it's a thought?)!.

Back with our preschoolers this morning. We added play dough to our repertoire of options and they just love it! Between Lego and play dough there is silence! So enjoyable! Vicente (age 3) tends to get into trouble quite a bit because he's hitting people and throwing screaming fits. Today I decided I was going to attempt to stop this pattern.

Soooo - when he grabbed someone else's Lego and was just about to hit - I picked him up and carried his outside. He sat on my lap screaming in my ears for about a minute (felt like ten) until he finally stopped long enough to be able to listen to what I was saying. I told him that if someone made him mad, he should come to me and tell me what made him mad. Do not hit! He sat there, listened and then we just hugged. He is so cute.

At 2:00 we had our last English class for the older ones. Molly and I walked to the Duca in Campi Nairobi and bought Fantas and Sprites for the class (in glass bottles). Ten bottles cost me 4'500 shillings - which is under $4.00. As we were walking back we saw Upendo walking to school - she of course offered to carry the bags - which we didn't let her!

We handed back the exams and Lindsay went through the questions one by one with the class. In the meantime I was writing their homework assignment on the white board. We want them to keep a diary - write at least once a week about what they are doing. Noting especially to use their past, present and future tenses in each entry.  And I also told them that we really wanted them to speak English with each other when they saw each other. They aren't coming back for classes until January 12 - so they have plenty of time to forget everything they have learned!

They then had a choice - play games (learning more English) or watching a movie in the Volunteer house while drinking their sodas. They chose the movie - as they had seen the first part yesterday after the exam. It was the animated "A Little Mermaid". They seemed to all enjoy it - but I have to say, I am not convinced they understood it all!

We took a couple photos of the class - and lots of hugs all around while saying goodbye!

At 5, I did another workout in the rec hall (a DVD with Cathe - Body Max) - it almost killed us! And Jack was back out by Campi Nairobi playing soccer. You should see his legs and socks when he's done. 

Absolutely filthy!

No comments: